Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Procrastinate Now!

I once saw a teeshirt with that slogan and still wish I had one!

The area of my life where I'm most inclined to procrastinate is webwork and social media stuff. Which is not so good because these days-- unless you're Suzanne Collins-- that's pretty mandatory for an author.

However, I finally got to Amazon.com last night and put up my bio, photo and so forth. Today I'll be looking at my website. The funny thing is, when I actually get around to it, I enjoy thinking up things to say i.e. content, fiddling with photos and design. It's kind of a different creative challenge and that's stimulating for me.

Otherwise, I'd rather be writing.

We used to have the saying 'Procrastination is the thief of time', but I think that's overdue for an update. Years ago I realized that, for me, watching television was what stole my time. When I looked back over the day, there was this kind of vacuum during my TV watching minutes or hours. So I stopped. Of course, I still watch occasionally, but this is not part of my regular daily routine. There's that mild hypnotic state I'd rather not be put into, thanks very much.

And now we have the internet, and blogs, and twitter and facebook and and and. These, it seems to me, are even more addictive. Somehow I need to find a conscious way to deal with them because they're not going to go away any time soon.

How about you? What's your 'go to' when you feel the urge to procrastinate?

No comments:

Post a Comment