Friday, October 19, 2012

Afrikaans

So this is the second question I'm frequently asked: 'Do you come from an Afrikaans background?'

Um, no. My family is English, Scottish, Irish, German, going back a generation at a time, in that order and split between the maternal and the paternal (if you can work that one out!) The closest I came is that my maternal grandmother had an Afrikaans stepmother. Those were still early days of this newish language, and my gran learned high Dutch in school.

But me, I learned little Afrikaans in school, mainly because of going to England as per my previous post. It was during the years that we lived on a farm in the Cape wine-growing area that I grew used to hearing it around me, and began to appreciate its special character and charm. This was because most of our farm workers were 'so-called coloureds', i.e. of mixed-ethnicity. That was also when I learned to speak it a little.

Generally, I'm a lover of language and languages. When we came to Canada, I was truly astonished to discover prejudices between English and French, just as there used to be in South Africa between English and Afrikaans. Isn't it time we got over this?

No comments:

Post a Comment